Wednesday, 2 January 2013

IWSG - Writing Too Little, Too Often

Howdy peeps.

Well, it's 2013, and you know what that means -  the world didn't end!  I must say I'm slightly disappointed.  Sure it would be awful; the entire world wiped out, the end of life as we now it, a few measly survivors dotted about here and there fighting over the last cabbage.  But the thing about extinction level events is that they go way beyond once in a lifetime - the last animals this happened to were the dinosaurs.  No human has ever seen something like that happen and it's highly likely that no human ever will.  Now I'm not saying that it would be great for everyone to die, because seriously, that would suck.  But imagine waking up in the afterlife knowing you had just witnessed the most cataclysmic event in the history of the world.  You'd be the envy of all other ghosts would you not!

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Christmas and a wonderful, sober New Year!  And the best thing about the world not ending - I still get to blog and do IWSG. Yay!  The Insecure Writer's Support Group runs on the first Wednesday of every month.  Fellow writer's discuss their doubts, triumphs and offer words of encouragement to peeps who are struggling.  You can sign up and check out other participants here.

I've not been writing a lot at the moment and it is starting to mess with my head a little.  When I first started studying with the Open University, it was because I was off sick all the time, always falling behind in my work because I couldn't attend classes, and basically not getting anywhere.  The Open University has made a great difference, but I'm still struggling.  One of the first things I learnt on the creative writing course I'm currently studying, is that we need to write every day, even if it's just a little bit about nothing - all writing is learning and practice.  But at the moment I'm not doing that.  I try, but I always end up falling asleep.  I know I'm a lazy fecker!  I wouldn't mind so much though if I was already a writer, a little break every now and then is needed, but I'm still learning and I clearly need the practice.  I don't like being so negative all the time, especially at the start of a shiny, brand new year, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I really am doomed to fail :(

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No you're not! I went over six months without writing a thing before I wrote my upcoming third book. And I was beginning to wonder. But inspiration came back and it will return to you as well.

Cynthia said...

I think it helps to write as often as you can, but I don't think you need to write every single day. On days when I don't feel like writing, I read or plot stories out in my head, so I'm still "working."

M.J. Fifield said...

You're not doomed to fail.

I go through periods of time where I write like crazy and then I have writing droughts. The writing droughts always make me a little cranky but they always come to an end too.

Anna Smith said...

Alex - Thank you. 6 months is a long time, maybe I am worrying about nothing :)

Cynthia - Ooh I never though of reading as work, but that is exactly what I'm doing when I read, well most times anyway! Thank you :)

M.J. Fifield - Thank you. It's great to know the drought will end :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm not convinced by the write everyday theory - I write because I enjoy it, and I write because I would love it to be my full time job one day. I also love cheesecake, but would get sick of it everyday. I also wouldn't want to be at my job every single day of the year!

Gossip_Grl said...

Now I don't think you are lazy. Write when you feel inspired to! :)

Ciara said...

Writing everyday is great, but it isn't a must. I've walked away for a few months and returned. Good luck! Happy 2013.

Misha Gericke said...

I'm with Annalisa.

I personally had quite a prolific year in 2012 with two drafts and a completed edit.

I didn't write every day. I literally wrote in the month of November and edited for the rest.

But the fact is, I never write every day. Even when I'm not editing, because some days are like staring at the wall and the day after those are like finding a door. I prefer not to feel panicky about the fact that I just don't have words all the time. :-)

Maybe you're like me.

M Pax said...

I didn't start writing consistently until recently. Before that other things always got in the way. When you're ready, you'll do it.

Georgina Morales said...

I write as frequent as I can but it isn't always daily. I mean, life happens, right? I make an effort to write every day, even if it is only in my blog, but if I can't, I try to read, edit or do do something bookish. That at least has my brain learning.

Things will come back to you, just be patient.

Best of luck!

Share This Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the No Monsters Under My Bed kit by Lorie Davison