My Shortest Dream Inspires My Biggest Idea

Howdy peeps.  Does that title make sense?  When I say it out loud it doesn't sound right.  Do you ever get that with words?  You say a word over and over again, but no matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't sound like a real word, even though it obviously is because you use it all the time!

So anyway, I'm working on ideas for a story at the moment - a girl accidently discovers another world, it turns out she is destined blahdy blah, but she needs to get home before she can do whatever it is she is destined to do (not sure what that is yet!). It's been bugging me for weeks trying to come up with a decent way to get her home; I want her to go on quests to find objects, but I didn't know what quests or objects I could get her to do.

Then the other week, I had what is probably the shortest most boring dream I have ever had!  All that happens in the dream is a girl gets out of bed, burns an incense stick, puts a flower in some water then mixes that with the incense ash and drinks it.  Grose!  As far as I can tell the dream was only about a minute long.  When I woke up I was a lil confused because my dreams are normally pretty epic.

But as the day went on I started to compare this with another dream I had recently about wizard dust, then I had one of those light bulb moments - the girl in my dream was probably my main character.  In fact I'm sure that crappy lil dream was my lovely subconscious telling me how I can get her home.

So now, because of that tiny lil dream, I have come up with quite a few ideas for my story and it is now looking a lot more promising then it was a few weeks ago.  The main character will have to go on a quest to get a magic incense stick, but she will also need to get a flower, and some water.  But I'm thinking instead of boring old water, it should be a dragon tear that she has to mix the ash in.  And, I can combine this with ideas from the wizard dust dream - maybe she needs the dust as well, and the wizard can help her to find the dragon, or it could be the wizard that she gets the incense stick from.  There was a battle in that dream and maybe she has to take part to earn the wizards trust, blahdy blahdy blah....

I think that's pretty cool - the shortest, crappiest dream I have ever had, has pretty much written a story for me!

Do you use your dreams to help with your stories?  Do you believe the subconscious helps us with lil things like that?  Do the ideas I've come up with sound like a story you would want to read?  Where do pink elephants live?

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Creative way to solve your problem of getting her home!
My dreams are usually boring. Maybe I should pay more attention.

farawayeyes said...

I have yet to use dreams to solve story problems, but maybe I should. You have given me a great idea!

Jamie Gibbs said...

That's pretty epic! I never remember my dreams, sadly :(

Jamie

Anna Smith said...

Alex - Maybe they are awesome dreams but you just don't remember them :)

Farawayeyes - Dreams make good stories because they are so messed up. Well mine are anyway! :)

Jamie - Ty. I read somewhere it means you're a light sleeper if you don't remember your dreams, maybe that's why? :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I know I dream, but I often don't remember them. Then I'll have 2 or 3 dreams that are vivid and memorable, and they always get used in my stories somehow. The last one simply became the dream of a character.

Share This Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the No Monsters Under My Bed kit by Lorie Davison